Immigration Casework

If you need help with a federal government agency, my office is happy to provide assistance and advocate for you however we can. My office can contact the appropriate agency on your behalf to ensure that you have been given every consideration available. Please know that we cannot force an agency to act in favor of a constituent.  However, we can help communicate the circumstances and request that they take appropriate actions to assist you.

If your situation is an emergency that requires urgent help (an urgent passport request, an ill family member overseas, etc.), please call my District Office for immediate assistance.


Steps for Obtaining Assistance

  1. Please confirm the petitioner/applicant of the case resides in Massachusetts’ Third District. You can find this information at

  2. If the applicant does reside in the Third District, please download and fill out the Immigration Privacy Release Form. An ORIGINAL, INK (wet) signature is required.  

  3. Return the Immigration Privacy Release Form by emailing along with copies of documents from the relevant agency or agencies for this case. 

  • For example, if the case is filed with USCIS, please send me a copy of the most recent I-797 Notice of Action from USCIS. If a case is with DOS, please make copies of correspondence from the National Visa Center or embassy/consulate.

  • If documentation from an agency is not available, please make sure the correct case or receipt number is on the privacy release form. This information is necessary for my office to contact agencies.

Do not hesitate to contact my office with any questions; however, we cannot initiate a case without the Immigration Privacy Release Form


Frequently Asked Questions

Who should complete the Immigration Privacy Release Form? 

The petitioner/applicant must complete and sign the Immigration Privacy Release Form. This form must be signed by the person applying. For immigrant visas, this is usually the person living in the US sponsoring a family member or spouse. For non-immigrant visas, this is usually the person living abroad attempting to visit the US. 

I am seeking my I-730 Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition status. Do I need to complete an Immigration Privacy Release Form? 

Yes - if the pending case is an I-730 Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition, the petitioner/applicant and the beneficiary (family member abroad) must complete and sign separate privacy release forms. 


Additional Information 

  • Please refer to the estimated processing timeframe on the USCIS website to gauge the appropriate timing of a future case status inquiry.
  • Major case-specific updates are also available through the USCIS “Case Status Online” tool.
  • The information to request USCIS to expedite the adjudication of your immigration benefit application or petition is available on the USCIS website How to Make an Expedite Request.