Congresswoman Lori Trahan Introduces Legislation to Strengthen Protections for Pre-Existing Conditions and Lower Health Care Costs
Washington, March 26, 2019
Washington, DC – Today, Congresswoman Lori Trahan (D-MA-03) joined with her Democratic Colleagues to stabilize the Affordable Care Act (ACA) by introducing the Protecting Pre-Existing Conditions & Making Health Care More Affordable Act of 2019.
“The latest effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act through the courts underscores the importance of the step that House Democrats are taking today. Our legislation improves upon the massive gains that were made under the ACA by continuing to lower health care premiums, protect people with pre-existing conditions, and lower costs across the board for hardworking American families like the one I grew up in,” said Rep. Trahan.
“Access to quality, affordable health care is a human right for all, not a privilege for the few. I am determined not to fail in the fight before us. The ACA marked one of the most significant steps toward universal health care coverage of our generation, and it must be protected from further sabotage at all costs. Real people’s lives and livelihoods hang in the balance. I will continue to support legislative proposals that move us closer to universal coverage in the United States,” continued Rep. Trahan.
The Protecting Pre-Existing Conditions & Making Health Care More Affordable Act of 2019:
Lowers health insurance premiums with strengthened and expanded affordability assistance
• Strengthens tax credits in the Marketplace to lower Americans’ health insurance premiums and allows more middle-class individuals and families to qualify for subsidies;
• Ensures that families who don’t have an offer of affordable coverage from an employer can still qualify for subsidies in the Marketplace; and,
• Provides funding for reinsurance, to help with high cost claims, improve Marketplace stability, and prevent the Administration’s sabotage from raising premiums.
Strengthens protections for people with pre-existing conditions
• Curtails the Administration’s efforts to give states waivers to undermine protections for people with pre-existing conditions and weaken standards for essential health benefits, which would leave consumers with less comprehensive plans that do not cover needed services, such as prescription drugs, maternity care, and substance use disorder treatment.
Stops insurance companies from selling junk health insurance plans
• Stops the Administration’s efforts to push Americans into junk health insurance plans that do not provide coverage for essential medical treatments and drugs, and that are allowed to discriminate against people with pre-existing medical conditions.
Reverses the GOP’s health care sabotage that has needlessly driven up premiums and uninsured rates, and empowers states to innovate and invest in enrolling more people in affordable health coverage
• Reverses the Administration’s sabotage by requiring open enrollment outreach, education, and funding for navigators;
• Invests in state efforts to conduct outreach to increase enrollment, educate consumers of their rights, and help individuals navigate the health insurance system;
• Empowers states to implement new approaches to increasing enrollment and allows states to set up their own Marketplaces; and
• Holds the Administration accountable for its use of federal dollars dedicated to increasing enrollment, outreach and running the federal exchange.